Tamra Axworthy of Pueblo posted this photo with the recipe, made at her home. Others have tried the recipe, saying it’s superb.
Maple Oat Skillet Bread
Love the smell of fresh bread
- 1 c Oats, old fashioned or quick cook
- 1 c Hot water
- 2 1/4 Dry yeast
- 1/3 c Warm water
- 1/2 c Pure maple syrup
- 2 t Vegetable oil
- 2 t salt
- 3-1/2 c Flour, all purpose or bread flour
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten, for topping
- 1/4 c Oats, for topping
- In a blender or food processor, add the oats, and pulse a few seconds. We want coarse crumbs, but not powder, so don’t overdo!
- Add the hot water to the oats, and mix. Let them stand until they cool to luke warm.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, add the yeast and warm water – let sit for a few minutes, then add the maple syrup, oil and salt.
- Add the warm oats and the flour, then mix to a soft dough (adding more flour if necessary).
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and pliable – about 10 minutes
- Form dough into a ball.
- Grease a bowl, and add the dough to the bowl and cover.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Punch down, then shape into a smooth round loaf.
- Place loaf in a cast iron skillet, cover with a clean towel – and leave somewhere warm until the loaf doubles in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Brush loaf with beaten egg, and sprinkle with the oats.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool before slicing. Devour.
If you want bread machine directions, go to this website link https://www.kyleecooks.com/wprm_print/7419